UK Projects < >
The Arrivall 1471
This sculpture was commissioned by the Tewkesbury Battlefield Society who fund raised for all the budget, it marks the site of the important battle in 1471 during the Wars of the Roses between the Yorkists and Lancastrians, and is sited on Stonehill Roundabout, Tewkesbury. The title, ‘Arrivall’, is taken from the 1471 account of the recovery of Henry VI’s English throne by Edward IV.
Both sculptures are constructed from locally sourced English Oak, the horses height is 5m, 5.5m to the top of the knight, the pennants are made from aluminium alloy, poles 8m high, with pennants designed to rotate in the wind.
The pennants were designed from imagery made in a workshop, by children attending Tirlebrook School, Tewkesbury. The pennants materials were donated by Kenard Engineering who cut the designs for free, with pole fabrication by Grail Engineering. Installation by Edgewick Transport Ltd. Most of the mane spikes were made by Tom and Jazz Cousins.
© Diane Gorvin Philip Bews 2013